HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Revelation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin

PostSubject: Revelation   Thu May 24, 2012 11:06 am

I've been reading Revelation in recent days. Last night I finished chapter 11. So far I haven't seen any indication that any of the events Johyn was describing was thousands of years in the future. To the contrary, there seems to be a sense of urgency to John's writng. A sense of "now," like what he was writing was happening at the time he was seeing it. He wrote mainly in present tense. Present tense to John is preterite tense to us.

There is but one indication of anything future. John wrote of Christ and the One that sat on the throne as being the one that "was, and is, and is to come." The way I understand that is that Christ and the One that on the throne were in the past, present and future. An indication that eternity is timeless, and perhaps perpetual. It is the concept that what was, is, and will be. But, that is only possible if what John was seeing was eternity.

Let me illustrate what I'm saying.

John wrote about a "war that broke out in heaven." 12.7. The dragon was cast out of heaven to earth. Something similar happened to Lucifer according to Isaiah 14.12-15. Was John seeing and describing the same event? I wonder. At least when I read this account in Revelation, this part of Isaiah came to mind.

This concept of perpetuity suggests that what did happen in Heaven, is happening, and will happen. And that is what I am getting out of my current reading of Revelation. So, perhaps preterists and futurists are both right to a degree. I have no doubt that John wrote about spiritual events that he was seeing. So it is quite possible that he was seing spititual events that were, are, and will be.

It is my opinion that time has no shape in eternity. Time is a concept of the flesh, not of the spirit. I never read that God created a time clock. >smiling<

It has been said that history repeats itself. Perhaps on a different stage with different actors, but history does seem to repeat itself. For example, how many Presidents of the United States have been assasinated? Was that history repeating itself? I wonder. If so, maybe eternity is a time loop. Just a thought.

These are thoughts that are swimming around in my head from my current reading of the book of Revelation.

study

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:42 pm

Oh, there is already a thread on Revelations Tom. This was on May 24th, 2012 by you.

I see by this that John wrote this book. On the week-end, I will read the first chapter and see if I can talk about it on here. Smile
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:57 pm

I must tell you, when it comes to Revelation, I am not the best person to ask questions. My knowledge of Revelation is very limited. I have summoned help.

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:39 am

Hi Guys!
I love your picture WhiteDove. You are a beautiful woman! I will not use your real name on the forums. Thanks for sharing.
Revelation is indeed a deep subject, yet not nearly as deep as some lead us to believe. Many have made millions of dollars from the sales of books that produce fear and an unhealthy expectation of things to come. When in fact, John wrote the Revelation of Jesus Christ to the first century Christians to warn them of the persecution that was to take place, and to watch and be ready. Some would have us believe that John wrote the book around 98 AD, but it is much more logical that the book was written during the time of Nero, around 68 AD. One of the convincing evidences of this for me, is that, no where in the book itself, or in any of the New Testament books, is the destruction of the temple, or the fall of Jerusalem mentioned.
Coming from a premillennial background, this was very surprising to me at first, but upon further study, I have to agree that the dating of Revelation had to have been before Jerusalem's destruction, therefore making the prophecies of Daniel come alive during the first century.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi Tom and Nan.

Thank you Nan, you are as well. I love your picture with that beautiful little deer. Imagine him coming up and eating from your hand. I would love to feed one. I have never seen one before.

Thanks for sharing about Revelations. I was going to read it over on the week-end, but here it is Sunday already and I haven't done it. I don't always feel good but I have the best of intentions.........

From your post, I gather that Revelation is warning of us what will come in the future when the end comes.

I will read the first chapter before this day is finished Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:18 pm

I am afraid that I gave the wrong impression. Revelation was a warning to the first century Christians, not to us. And the tribulation that was about to happen to Israel, not the world today.
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:08 pm

NanHancock wrote:
I am afraid that I gave the wrong impression. Revelation was a warning to the first century Christians, not to us. And the tribulation that was about to happen to Israel, not the world today.

Nan, this is what you said, "When in fact, John wrote the Revelation of Jesus Christ to the first century Christians to warn them of the persecution that was to take place, and to watch and be ready." John warned them. Why would he warn them if what he was saying was not going to happen to them? I thought you were plain.  Wink 

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks Tom!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:24 pm

Oh Nana, it is not YOU. It is me, I am a baby Christian and I don't understand very much about the Bible, I am just trying to learn Smile

I will try not to say stupid things that I do not really understand. Sorry....
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:56 pm

WhiteDove wrote:
Oh Nana, it is not YOU.  It is me, I am a baby Christian and I don't understand very much about the Bible, I am just trying to learn Smile

I will try not to say stupid things that I do not really understand.  Sorry....

People expressing what they know are not saying anything stupid.

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 am

WhiteDove, You did not say anything stupid at all. How else is one to learn except they say what they know. You understood me to say one thing, but I meant another. It was only a miscommunication, that is all. I love that you are taking the time to learn. That, in itself, says that you are seeking, and that is what is required in learning. I too, say things that I find make me feel "silly", but I learn from what is said and move on. I am glad that you spoke your mind, that way, we can be on the same page. There is nothing for you to be sorry for!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks for your understanding Nan.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revelation   

Back to top Go down

Revelation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1