A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

God is Perfect

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL

PostSubject: God is Perfect   Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:40 am

This is something that has been on my mind lately. It is something that we all need to think about. The idea that God is perfect. This should solve a great many of our disagreements about the nature of God. However I am sure it won't, because we are imperfect. Imperfection can't understand perfection. But, God, being perfect understands everything because he has pefect knowledge. While our knowledge is fragmented and incomplete, God's knowledge is completely whole. We cannot come close to comprehending that. No matter how much we study, and learn, we will never know what God knows. And we will never understand the the ways of a perfect God, no matter how much we try.

What we do is grumble when something happens we don't understand, and oft times we blame God. No matter how old we think we are, compared to God we are young and react to the ways of God with young and foolish emotions. I know there are things about God I don't understand. But this I know, and have recently come to realize, that whatever God has done in the past, is doing in the present, and will do in the future, He has a perfect reason for all He does. Not just a good reason, but a perfect reason. Everything about God is perfect. There is no imperfection with Him at all. Therefore, we can know that God could not by His perfect nature create anything that is imperfect, for there is no imperfection with Him.

It is written, "As for God, His way is perfect..." Psalm 18:30. God's way is perfect, and if we could accept that simple fact, that should solve many of our disagreements. But, we are imperfect, and our disagreements will continue in our imperfection.

There are many things about God I don't understand. For example. Why did God tell the people of Israel to go into the land of Canaan and kill all living things. All the men, women and children, all the animals. He told them to kill everything that has breath. Why? I don't know, and before, I have accepted it by faith. But now, also with the understanding that God's ways are perfect, and what ever He done or commanded others to do, He had a perfect reason for it.

There are those that claim that God has two wills. A perfect will and a permissive will. But, how can that be true? If God is perfect He has only a perfect will. I can find nothing that suggests that there is any permissiveness with God. So, how can He have a permissive will? Being permissive is a part of our own imperfection. The idea of a permissive will comes out of man's imperfection, and trying to understand the perfect ways of God through man's imperfection. We think we must explain the perfect will of God, so we come up with imperfect explanations. So, we come up with imperfect explanations to explain the perfection of God. In the end, we are wrong. How many imperfect doctrines have been established in this way? Imperfection cannot explain perfection. So, instead of trying to explain the perfection of God, which we can't come close to understanding, why don't we just accept that God is perfect, and leave it at that? We become like an ameba trying to explain the grand design of the universe. It can't be done. All we can know is what God has revealed about Himself to us. And even that we can't fully comprehend.

Now, it's your turn.

study
Back to top Go down

God is Perfect
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1