HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Pearls Before Swine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin

PostSubject: Pearls Before Swine   Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:06 am

Matthew 7.6 states, "Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast your pearls before the swine, lest haply they trample them under their feet, and turn and rend you."

What is Jesus saying here?  
Matthew Henry wrote:
"It is not every one that is fit to be reproved; Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, v. 6. This may be considered, either, (1.) As a rule to the disciples in preaching the gospel; not that they must not preach it to any one who were wicked and profane (Christ himself preached to publicans and sinners), but the reference is to such as they found obstinate after the gospel was preached to them, such as blasphemed it, and persecuted the preachers of it; let them not spend much time among such, for it would be lost labour, but let them turn to others, Acts 13:41. So Dr. Whitby.  Or, (2.) As a rule to all in giving reproof. Our zeal against sin must be guided by discretion, and we must not go about to give instructions, counsels, and rebukes, much less comforts, to hardened scorners, to whom it will certainly do no good, but who will be exasperated and enraged at us. Throw a pearl to a swine, and he will resent it, as if you threw a stone at him; reproofs will be called reproaches, as they were (Lu. 11:45; Jer. 6:10), therefore give not to dogs and swine (unclean creatures) holy things.  
See more of Matthew Henry's commentary here: http://biblehub.com/commentaries/mhcw/matthew/7.htm

I agree with Matthew Henry, that there are some people that are unworthy of hearing the gospel of Christ because they are obstinate.   It is very difficult to teach those that are stubbornly holding on to what they believe, and totally unwilling to yield.  These are people of which Christ is warning not to try to teach.  

Acts 7.51 states, "Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Spirit: as your fathers did, so do ye."

Stiffnecked is a synonym of obstinate.  These type of people will always resist the truth.  So, the message of Scripture is, don't even bother.  Don't even try to teach these people.  They will resist the truth no matter what you try to do.  It is a total waste of time.  

Forgive me if I sound boastful, but I am tired of wasting my time.  I have been teaching the truth for a long time.  And most people resist it because they stubbornly holding on to what they believe, and totally unwilling to yield.  

The Bible teaches there is one church under God.  On body of Christ for which he shed his blood, and is sole head.  Christ has all authority in the church.  This truth is often resisted.  

Ever since I have learned that Christmas and Easter are pagan, I have been teaching the truth about this.  II Corinthians 6.14-18 states, "14  Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers: for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? or what communion hath light with darkness?  15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what portion hath a believer with an unbeliever? 16  And what agreement hath a temple of God with idols? for we are a temple of the living God; even as God said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.  17  Wherefore Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, And touch no unclean thing; And I will receive you,  18  And will be to you a Father, And ye shall be to me sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

Verse 16 asks, what agreement does the temple of God have with idols.  The simple answer is, none.  But that doesn't matter to the stiffnecked "Christians" who partake in this idolatry.  So, why should I continue to try to teach this?

My most recent major departure from the norm is in Bible Prophecy.  I have written much about this already, so I am not going to go into all here.  The one thing I do want to point out is that the Bible is a compilation of historical writings that were not written to, for or about anyone or anywhere today.  Ignoring this fact of history in the process of Bible interpretation will often lead to false doctrine.  Yet, there are many obstinate teachers of Bible prophecy that do ignore this fact.  

Those who resist the truth are, in the words of Jesus, dogs and swine.  And, I am tired of casting my pearls before them.

Pearls Before Swine
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1