Share | 

Give Christ His Due

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin

PostSubject: Give Christ His Due   Sat May 31, 2014 7:19 pm

GIVE CHRIST HIS DUE

Why don't some give Christ the credit that is his due. It is through Christ that we have a new heaven and earth. In Christ all things are new. See 2nd Corinthians 5.17.

There is an old hymn of the church called "The Church's One Foundation." Here are the lyrics...

1. The church's one foundation
is Jesus Christ her Lord;
she is his new creation
by water and the Word.
From heaven he came and sought her
to be his holy bride;
with his own blood he bought her,
and for her life he died.

2. Elect from every nation,
yet one o'er all the earth;
her charter of salvation,
one Lord, one faith, one birth;
one holy name she blesses,
partakes one holy food,
and to one hope she presses,
with every grace endued.

3. Though with a scornful wonder
we see her sore oppressed,
by schisms rent asunder,
by heresies distressed,
yet saints their watch are keeping;
their cry goes up, "How long?"
And soon the night of weeping
shall be the morn of song.

4. Mid toil and tribulation,
and tumult of her war,
she waits the consummation
of peace forevermore;
till, with the vision glorious,
her longing eyes are blest,
and the great church victorious
shall be the church at rest.

5. Yet she on earth hath union
with God the Three in One,
and mystic sweet communion
with those whose rest is won.
O happy ones and holy!
Lord, give us grace that we
like them, the meek and lowly,
on high may dwell with thee.

Hymns like this reflects the beliefs of the time. In the first verse it says, "she is his new creation by water and the Word." So, the idea that the church is a new creation is nothing new. And, it's based on Scripture. When the New Testament was being written, the church was still waiting for the consummation, and waiting for the church to be victorious. Hebrews 9.26 in the NASB states, "Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself." And in the YLT, "since it had behoved him many times to suffer from the foundation of the world, but now once, at the full end of the ages, for putting away of sin through his sacrifice, he hath been manifested." Christ appeared at the consummation, the full end of the ages, at the end of the world, depending on the translation, but it all means the same thing. Vine says, "... In Hebrews 9.26 the word, SUNTELEIA, translated 'world,' (AV), is in the plural, and the phrase is, 'the consummation of the ages.' It was at the heading up of all the various epochs appointed by Divine counsels that Christ was manifested (i.e., in His carnation) 'to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.'"

Christ was born at the end, completion, consummation of all ages. In Hebrews 1.1-2 it is written, "God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in times past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds." The Greek word translated "last days," is ESCHATOS], which is where get the word, "eschatology" from. So, Christ came in the last days, at the completion of all ages. Are we still in those days today? I don't believe so. It doesn't make sense to me that Daniel was told to seal up his prophecy because it wasn't for many days hence. That was 490 years before Christ. But, John was told not to seal up his prophecy because the time was near. That means, if we are still in the last days nearly 2000 years later makes no sense. That would mean that 490 years is a long time, but 2000 years is a short time. It doesn't take too many brain cells to figure out that can't be true.

We, the church, are the new creation, the new heavens and the new earth, and the new Jerusalem. We are so through and in Christ.

The message of fulfillment elevates Christ to his proper place as king of the kingdom. We are not waiting for him to become king, he is king. The kingdom is here, victorious over death, the last enemy. Those of us that believe this truth will meet Christ, and see him as he is when we slip the bonds of earth. We will be with God for all eternity, because Christ fulfilled his role as testator. We are no longer in the last days, or the end of the ages. We are in the age to come because Christ fulfilled all of his requirements. The message of fulfillment is more than dates and times. It simply states that all things are fulfilled in Christ. To deny that diminishes who Christ is.

There was a time that I didn't understand these things. But I was, and still am, a truthseeker. Nothing is more important than the truth. Now that I do understand, I can't believe how blind I was. It is really quite simple. Jesus and the apostles said what they meant, and meant what they said. But, you must understand what they said in their historical context as well as their literary context. Otherwise you'll just be grasping at the wind, which many do.

Let us give Christ his due by believing the truth, for he is the way, the truth and the life, and no one can go to the Father but through Christ.

PostSubject: Re: Give Christ His Due   Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Nice article Tom!
Back to top Go down

Give Christ His Due
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1