A Forum Site For Christians Seeking the Way of Truth

HomeSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Abortion Prohibited

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL

PostSubject: Abortion Prohibited   Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:48 pm

"Thou shalt not murder a child by abortion, nor again shalt thou kill it when it is born." This is found in the epistle of Barnabas.

As Christians, we already know that abortion is murder and sin. But, there is nothing in the canon (Bible) that is as plain as this passage in Barnabas. And when I first saw this I was elated. Finally something in writing that confirms what I believe.

We do have Exodus 21.22-25, "If men fight, and hurt a woman with child, so that she gives birth prematurely, yet no harm follows, he shall surely be punished accordingly as the woman's husband imposes on him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. But, if any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe." Can we infer from this that the penalty for abortion is death?

The passage in Barnabas is plain. Abortion is prohibited. This passage is found in the part of Barnabas where he is describing the "way of light." Later he describes the "way of darkness." One could surmise that not having and abortion is light, having an abortion is darkness, eventhough Barnabas doesn't come out and say that. He does say the penalty for being in the way of darkness is eternal death. Something the canon would concur with.

What do you think?

Just thinking of the millions of abortions that have happened in this country makes me very sad. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Abortion Prohibited   Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Regarding Exodus 21:22, I think it might be stretching or forcing the interpretation to say that injury or death to the baby was even in view. I checked a few commentaries and most do not even mention the possibility that the baby is included. John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible does allow for the possibility:

Quote :
and yet no mischief follow: to her, as the Targum of Jonathan, and so Jarchi and Aben Ezra restrain it to the woman; and which mischief they interpret of death, as does also the Targum of Onkelos; but it may refer both to the woman and her offspring, and not only to the death of them, but to any hurt or damage to either of them: now though there was none of any sort:

Bev
Back to top Go down
TomL

PostSubject: Re: Abortion Prohibited   Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Bev,

The words, "yet no harm follows," doesn't appear to be directed at anyone in particular, therefore, considering the text, it is directed at both, the woman and the baby.

As far as the commentary, I haven't a clue what he was talking about. "Targum of Onkelos." What is that?

Didy

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Abortion Prohibited   Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:20 pm

Didymus wrote:

As far as the commentary, I haven't a clue what he was talking about. "Targum of Onkelos." What is that?

From Wikipedia:

A targum ... is an Aramaic translation of the Hebrew Bible (Tanakh) written or compiled from the Second Temple period until the early Middle Ages (late first millennium). The two major genres of Targum reflect two geographical and cultural centers of Jewish life during the period of their creation, namely the Land of Israel and Babylonia. Aramaic was the dominant Jewish language or lingua franca for hundreds of years in these major Jewish communities.
The two most important targumim for liturgical purposes are:

* Targum Onkelos on the Torah (The Law)
* Targum Jonathan ben Uzziel on the Nevi'im (The Prophets)

These two targumim are mentioned in the Babylonian Talmud as targum didan ("our Targum"), giving them official status. In the synagogues of talmudic times, Targum Onkelos was read alternately with the Torah, verse by verse, and Targum Jonathan was read alternately with the selection from Nevi'im (i.e. the Haftarah).
Back to top Go down
TomL

PostSubject: Re: Abortion Prohibited   Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:07 am

You're getting way above my head.

scratch
Back to top Go down
spring

PostSubject: Re: Abortion Prohibited   Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

You do really study the bible! In Kenya where abortion is done by many women everyday.
"Thank you so much sister. This is a true path to go and we are bound to bring sanity to our society. Imagine thousands abort everyday in Kenya.During my study I have found out that many school gouing girls do abortion everyday.20 percent of schools girls abort every year. It is disturvbing to hear this. " just pasted this for you to read
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=109176195795875&ref=mf Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abortion Prohibited   

Back to top Go down

Abortion Prohibited
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1