The Cross of Christ

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomL
Admin

PostSubject: The Cross of Christ   Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 pm

THE CROSS OF CHRIST
by Tom Lineaweaver

These days, there doesn't seem to be much understanding about the cross of Christ, and what Jesus accomplished there.  Perhaps that's because there are probably very few in the  pulpits and class rooms of the church today that teach about the cross of Christ.  

The cross of Christ is the most important event in the history of mankind, which Jehovah God planned since before the foundation of the Old Covenant world.  And, the apostle  Paul said, "we preach Christ crucified."  1st Corinthians 1.17-25.  And today, it still seems like a stumbling block to some and foolishness to others.  But the crucifixion of Christ is still the power and wisdom of our God, Jehovah.  But, as Paul pointed out, the wisdom of the world outside of Christ does not understand or accept the wisdom of Jehovah God, which is far above the wisdom and knowledge of man.

In the book of Revelation, we can see the use of the image of a lamb that was slain.  And there are several places in the New Testament that Christ is referred to as the "lamb of God."   We understand that to be a reference to what Christ did on the cross.  So, to fully appreciate the cross of Christ, we must understand the concept of the sacrificial lamb from a Biblical perspective.  

In human wisdom and understanding, we can't fathom or comprehend why anyone as perfect as the Christ would allow himself to be crucified so the wicked and evil people of this world could have the potential of eternal life.  We simply cannot understand that.  It makes no sense in our limited ability to know and understand.

Based on what the apostle Paul wrote, according to Romans 5, rarely will someone die for a righteous man.   It's unheard of for someone to die for a wicked man.  Yet that is exactly what Christ did.  Christ died for the ungodly.   And without that fact, none of us would have  the  hope of eternal life.   That is the importance of the cross.

But that still doesn't answer the question of what motivated Christ to go to the cross and spill out his blood for ungodly people.  That makes no sense at all.  It's a question that my mind often throws at me, and sometimes I ask Jehovah God, "Why did Jesus have to die?  Why could you not just speak salvation into existence, as you spoke the world into existence?"   As one who has studied the Bible for a long time, I already know the answer to those questions.   And  it makes no sense for me to ask them.  But I do anyway.  Shows just how flawed human reasoning is.  

The answer is found in John 3.16.  Jehovah God loved the ungodly people of the world so much that he sent his only son born of a woman to go to the cross and spill out his blood so that we could have eternal life.   And you could just sense the love Jesus had for Jerusalem in Matthew 23.37.  He so much loved them that he wanted to protect them as a mother hen protects her chicks, but they were unwilling.  Forgive me, but I must interject here.  So much for Calvinism.

As the supreme sacrificial lamb, Jesus the Christ shed or spilled out his blood while on the cross.  The importance of the shed blood is based on the first Passover.  We find that in Exodus 12.  He we find the significance of the blood.  They were take a young lamb, no more than a year old, without any flaw, and kill it.  Eat the meat, and apply the blood to the two doorposts and lintel of the house.  It was that night that Jehovah God said he would go through the land of Egypt and strike all the first born in the land of Egypt, killing them.  But, he told them when he sees the blood he will pass over the house and spare the lives of all who were in that house.  

So the significance of the blood of Christ is that when we believe, and we are in Christ, when  Jehovah God comes in judgment, when he sees the blood of Christ, he will pass over those to whom the blood is applied.  But just as the people of Israel had to do something, so must we.  We must in willing faith enter the house of Christ where the blood is applied to the doorposts and lintels.   Therefore the blood of Christ protects those in Christ from the judgment of death and we are granted eternal life, since Christ is the supreme and eternal sacrificial lamb.

Wow.  I am awed by just the thought of this.  Jehovah God is simply awesome.  But there is more to the accomplishments of the cross.  And we find those accomplishments in the book of Hebrews.  

The main subject matter of the book of Hebrews is the difference between the old or first covenant, and the new and better covenant.  And there is much to those differences.  But I want to focus the accomplishments of the cross, for that is where Christ spilled out his blood.

The blood of Christ inaugurated the new, better and everlasting covenant.  We see that in Hebrews 9.15-28.  For a covenant, testament or will to be effective, the person that made it must die.  And Christ did indeed die on the cross.  And that brought the new covenant into effect.  But, and if you read all of the book of Hebrews, you will see that Christ fulfilled every old covenant sacrificial law, thus completely fulfilling them making the first covenant old, obsolete and ready to vanish away.  And this was symbolized by the destruction of the temple in 70 AD.  The first covenant is dead.  And that was accomplished when Christ died on the cross.  

So the accomplishments of the cross are, protecting those in Christ from the judgment of Jehovah God granting all in the house of Christ eternal life, and establishing a new, better and everlasting covenant, making the first covenant of no effect.  

There is a very important point that needs to be made.  Since Christ made the first or old covenant of no effect, who did that benefit?  It certainly did not benefit the gentiles because they were never given the old covenant.  That only benefited the people of Israel.  And it is with them that he established the new covenant first.  Everything Christ did benefitted the Jew first.  Romans 1.16.

However, I must point out, according to John Hagee that's not right.  In his book, "In Defense of Israel," he points out that Jesus was never the Messiah for Israel.  So we have a decision to make.  Do we believe the Bible, or John Hagee?   Sorry, I sometimes can't help myself.  But, if John Hagee be true, then the cross of Christ is of no effect.  Why?  Because, look at who the cross of Christ benefitted first.  Christ came first for his people.  And, if the cross is of no effect, then there is no such thing as Christianity at all.   Because of this, this teaching of John Hagee is very dangerous.  That's why it's important for every pastor or preacher in the world to teach people the truth about the cross of Christ.  If that would be done, John Hagee would be exposed for the fraud that he is.  And the current State of Israel will be exposed for the fraud it is.  You can not be God's chosen people unless you are chosen in Christ, that you are in the house protected by the blood of Christ.  And that is the importance and significance of the cross today.

The cross makes people holy, which simply means they are set apart in Christ.  And while the rest of the world is still under the judgment of God, those in Christ are set free from that judgment.  As I stated before, I am awed by the whole thing.  Jehovah is a loving and awesome God.  And yes I do call him Jehovah.  The name Jesus simply means Jehovah saves.  So those in the house of Christ worship an praise Jehovah.  

HALLELUJAH, PRAISE JEHOVAH

Hallelujah, praise Jehovah,
From the heavens praise His name;
Praise Jehovah in the highest,
All His angels praise proclaim.
All His hosts together praise Him,
Sun, and moon, and stars on high;
Praise Him, O ye heav’n of heavens,
And ye floods above the sky.

Refrain:
Let them praises give Jehovah,
For His name alone is high,
And His glory is exalted,
Far above the earth and sky.

Let them praises give Jehovah,
They were made at His command,
Them forever He established;
His decree shall ever stand.
From the earth, oh, praise Jehovah,
All ye floods, ye dragons all;
Fire, and hail, and snow, and vapors,
Stormy winds that hear His call.

All ye fruitful trees and cedars,
All ye hills and mountains high,
Creeping things, and beasts, and cattle,
Birds that in the heavens fly.
Kings of earth, and all ye people,
Princes great, earth’s judges all,
Praise His name, young men and maidens,
Aged men and children small.

http://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Hallelujah_Praise_Jehovah/

slybelvedere

PostSubject: Re: The Cross of Christ   Tue May 19, 2015 5:19 pm

I notice you refer to God as Jehovah. Is this term exclusive to a certain denomination(s) or is it a historical term for God's name?
Back to top Go down
TomL
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Cross of Christ   Wed May 20, 2015 4:31 am

I simply use "Jehovah" because it's better than "hey you." But, the Hebrew lettering for the name he gave Moses is YHVH. Anglicize the Y and it becomes J, but still pronounced like a Y. Add the vowels, then you get Jehovah. I'm not sure why those vowels were chosen.

Check this article: The Name of God

slybelvedere

PostSubject: Re: The Cross of Christ   Fri May 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Thanks for the article like, I read it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cross of Christ   

Back to top Go down

The Cross of Christ
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1